the following information has been released by Ashford Borough Council, the Police and the Environment Agency:
We are anticipating further rainfall over the next 3-4 days. The rainfall totals could be significant (particularly on Wednesday and Friday) resulting in the risk of property flooding from Thursday onwards.
People may stay up to date by calling our floodline number on 0345 9881188, or by signing up to our flood warning service online at www.environment-agency.gov.uk.
Information is also available on www.ashford.gov.uk or by following @ashfordcouncil on twitter.
In the event your property is flooded, the priority is for you to make sure you and anyone who lives with you are safe. If you do have to leave your home because of flooding:
- Make sure you have the contact information from your insurance company
- Make sure you secure your home before you go
- Turn off gas, electricity and water supplies at the mains
- Unplug all electrical items and store upstairs or as high up as possible
- Move as much of your furniture and electrical items as high as you can
- Move furniture away from walls – this helps when drying your property later
- Keep your personal Items in a safe place or in a sealed bag away from flood water – for example sentimental items such as photos that cannot be replaced, passports, birth certificates, marriage certificates, contracts etc
- Make provisions for any pets
- If you decide to go elsewhere, please ensure you inform friends and relatives.