Don’t lose your vote

Dear Residents – there are changes to the voting system- don lose your vote – please read below.

Residents are being reminded that they must fill in their annual voter registration form or face a potential fine.

The annual canvass allows Ashford Borough Council to update its register of electors and ensures it contains the most up to date information in the event of an election. The information is also supplied to credit reference agencies.

Almost 10 per cent of properties in the borough have still not returned a form. Residents must by law respond to the information requested, even if no one in the household has a right to vote.

If the Electoral Registration Office does not receive completed forms by Monday 10th February 2014, any existing information will be deleted from the register before it is published, and you could face prosecution with a maximum fine of £1,000.

You must be included on the registration form if you are:

  • 18 and over
  • 16 or 17 years old (you can vote as soon as you are 18)
  • British, Irish, a qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizen
  • normally living in the household but are temporarily away e.g. on holiday, studying or in hospital. Does NOT include people in prison
  • away working (for no more than 6 months)

The register will be published on 17th February.

If there are no changes to make to the pre-printed details on your registration form, you can submit your information at or call 0800 197 4046.

You can also opt out of the edited register and request a postal vote application via the internet or Freephone services. To use either service, you will need the two part security code printed on your registration form.

If you have any changes to make to the pre-printed details on your form, you must make the changes on the form, sign it and post it using the pre-paid envelope provided or if you think it will not arrive in time, hand deliver it to the Council offices at the Civic Centre, Tannery Lane, Ashford, Kent TN23 1PL.

If you are moving house soon, you should still register where you are living at the moment and once you have moved, contact the Electoral Services office at your local authority to register at your new address.

For more information, visit